We take our duty of care to tenants very seriously and many of our tenants have been with us for a number of years so whether you are looking for a short or long term rental we always strive to provide a reliable and professional service.
Renting through Harcourts you will have the reassurance that our properties are fully compliant with Health and Safety requirements. If there are any maintenance issues within the property we have trusted, skilled tradesman available to ensure repairs are dealt with as swiftly as possible.
Our aim is to keep fees affordable and as transparent as possible. We charge a one-off fee at the start of the application process which covers the cost of references and all the associated paperwork required for a new tenancy. This fee is non-refundable once referencing has been started.
For convenience and peace of mind we will notify all the relevant utility companies of your details which will include your name, the moving in date and the current meter readings.
Some applicants may be required to provide a guarantor, this is someone who will be responsible for paying the rent if for some reason the tenant fails to do so. You may be asked for a guarantor if you are a student with no fixed income, if you are in receipt of housing benefit or if you do not meet the affordability criteria.
A fully comprehensive inventory will be provided for you at the start of your tenancy (subject to your landlords’ terms). Once you are satisfied with the contents of the inventory you will be required to sign a copy which we will keep on our file. The check-out report will be carried out at the end of the tenancy and compared to the ingoing inventory. The tenant is responsible for the cost of the checkout report and the fee for this will be charged in advance at the commencement of the tenancy.
Your initial tenancy is usually offered at a fixed term of six months which is then followed by a further six months. After this time it is likely that a twelve month fixed term agreement will be offered. In exceptional circumstances and with the permission of the landlord you may be permitted to go into a Periodic Tenancy and you would be required to sign an Addendum to show this. Please note a re-let fee is payable at each renewal of the tenancy.
A security deposit will be taken at the start of the tenancy. The deposit amount required is equivalent to one month’s rental plus £200.00. If you intend to keep a pet at the property permission must be given and you will be required to make an additional payment to your deposit (minimum of £150.00 subject to your landlords’ terms).
Your deposit will be held in our Client Account and protected with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme. You will be given a certificate to show this has been carried out.
- Register your details on our website and keep up-to-date with our latest properties.
- Make an appointment to view any properties of interest.
- Once you apply for one of our properties you will be sent a link to the email address you have provided and you will be required to complete an online application form.
- References will be taken, along with a credit check. Please note, if you have any outstanding County Court Judgements this may result in your application being declined.
- Most of our properties are let initially for a minimum term of six months.
- It is a recommended that you take out a Contents Insurance Policy as your landlord will not be liable for any claims involving your own possessions. Please speak to a member of our staff for more information.
- If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit you will require a guarantor, this must be someone with sufficient income to cover the rent if for some reason Housing Benefit do not pay. Please note, Housing Benefit is only typically accepted on studio and one bedroom flats.
- All persons eighteen years and over who will be living at the property must be named on the Agreement.
- Once the references have been checked we will contact you to agree a starting date and make an appointment for you to come into the office, sign your Tenancy Agreement, go through the tenancy paperwork and collect the keys. You will be required to pay the deposit, the check-out fee and the due rent a few days prior to your tenancy as monies must be cleared into our account by this time. Bank transfer is the preferred method of payment.
- Rent is due on the first day of each month and payment should be made by standing order.
Please click on the link below for a full overview of our tenant fees.