We take our duty of care to tenants very seriously and many of our tenants have been with us for a number of years so whether you are looking for a short or long term rental we always strive to provide a reliable and professional service.
As a tenant with Harcourts you have the reassurance that your deposit will be protected with an approved scheme. We have skilled tradesman available to ensure repairs are dealt with as swiftly as possible and can even offer a 24 hour call out service (emergency only) for any electrical, gas/plumbing or building issues.
LETTING FEES INFORMATION
At Harcourts our aim is to keep fees affordable, simple and as transparent as possible. We charge a one-off fee at the start of the application process which covers the cost of references, office administration, and all the associated paperwork required for a new tenancy.
Also included is a check-in visit by a member of Harcourts’ staff either on the day you move in or the very next day to ensure there are no problems and you are happy with your new home.
For the tenant’s convenience and peace of mind we will notify all the relevant utility companies of your details which will include your name, the moving in date and up-to-date meter readings.
Some applicants may need to provide a guarantor, this is usually the case if you are a student with no fixed income, if you are in receipt of housing benefit or if you do not meet the affordability criteria.
A fully comprehensive inventory will be provided for you at the start of your tenancy (subject to your landlords’ terms) and the Check-out report will be carried out at the end of the tenancy and the fee for this report will be payable in advance (on your moving in date).
Your initial tenancy is usually offered at a fixed term of 6 months. You will then be offered a further 6 month agreement. From this point you will be most likely be offered a renewal every 12 months. The re-let fee becomes payable on each new fixed term Tenancy Agreement. In exceptional circumstances we may allow you to go into a Periodic Tenancy, if this is agreed an addendum to the agreement will need to be drawn up to show this and a fee will be payable.
A security deposit will be taken at the start of the tenancy. The deposit amount required is equivalent to one month’s rental plus £200.00. If you intend to keep a pet at the property permission must be given and you will be required to make an additional payment to your deposit (minimum of £150.00 subject to your landlords terms).
If you require any further information regarding fees please call us and speak to a member of our lettings team.
USEFUL INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
- Register your details, requirements and preferred rental level.
- Make an appointment to view any properties of interest.
- Once you decide to apply for a tenancy at one of our properties you will be given an application form which must be completed in full. At this time you will be required to pay an administration fee which is non-refundable.
- All persons over 18 wishing to live at the property must be named on the Tenancy Agreement and will be Joint and Severally Liable.
- References will be taken, along with a credit check. Please note, if you have any outstanding County Court Judgements this may result in your application being declined.
- All of our properties are let initially for a minimum term of six months.
- It is a client recommendation that you take out a Contents Insurance Policy as your Landlord will not be liable for any claims involving your own possessions. Please speak to a member of our staff for more information.
- If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit you will require a Guarantor, this must be someone with sufficient income to cover the rent if for some reason Housing Benefit do not pay. Please note, Housing Benefit is only typically accepted on studio and one bedroom flats.
- Once references have been checked we will contact you to agree a starting date and make an appointment for you to come into the office, sign your Tenancy Agreement and collect your keys. At this time you must pay the deposit together with the rent due for that month. (If you are moving in mid-month we will calculate the pro-rata amount due.) Cash and Banker’s Drafts are accepted for this purpose.
- If you intend to keep pets (please note not all landlords allow pets at the property) you will be required to make an additional payment towards your deposit (minimum £150.00 at the agents’ discretion).